Feb 3, 2013

Boekenfestijn Ahoy 2013

Hi there everyone! I went to 'Boekenfestijn Ahoy' in Rotterdam this weekend, which is a bookmarket where the books are discounted up to 90 percent! I've never been to one of these events before, but I'm super happy I went this year, because it was definitely worth it!


Boekenfestijn is held in the Netherlands and Belgium with 17 events each year! The entree is free which makes it even more available for everyone to try and find something to read! Inside Ahoy, which is a Dutch arena, rows and rows of tables were set up with books and other products. Beside books Boekenfestijn sells DVD's, stationery, craft supplies, toys, cards and other things.


When you walk into the arena, the scale of the event can be a little bit overwhelming. Luckily there were signs placed to divide the books into sections which made the whole thing a lot more doable. I was not prepared coming to this market and therefore chose the strategy of looking at books that I had on my wishlist or heard something good about. I started by searching in the sections that seemed right for me, like pocket books, English books, young adults, novels and so on.


The number of books obviously surprised me, but browsing through books I was even more surpised to find popular and recent books like the Hunger Games trilogy, J.K Rowling's new book, the Twilight Saga etcetera.


I finally ended up with four books and a travel mug and I only spend around 20 euros (approximately 27 dollars). I usually read books in English, but this time I bought three out of four books in Dutch! Fortunately they're also available in English, if any of you would like to check them out as well!



From top to bottom, I bought:
  1. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, which is a great classic that I've shamefully never read before! 
  2. Harry Potter en de school der wijzen. Wat Harry Potter ons over filosofie leert by Jørgen Gaare & Øystein Sjaastad. Which translates to; What Harry Potter teaches us about philosophy.
  3. Sil de strandjutter by Cor Bruijn. This is a Dutch classic and might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel like there are some books that you just have to read and form an opinion about yourself.
  4. 19 minuten (19 minutes) by Jodi Picoult. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, since I like the books that Jodi has written. I'm excited to read this one! 
And finally I bought one random item, which is a 'The Beatles Abbey Road' travel mug! I've seen these mugs before and I really like the idea of making tea (or any hot beverage) in the morning and taking this it to school.

That's it for this blogpost! Hope you enjoyed reading this! Let me know what you think about it and if there are any books you recommend to me!