Sep 22, 2012

Books: Top 3 Summer 2012

Books: Top 3 summer 2012

Reading has been a big part of my life ever since I could understand the symbols that are called letters. I like finding new authors, new books, new genres, because I like to be taken away to far away countries, to experiences new things, to think about statements and opions. Some books I read are just for fun, easy to read, but others have a deeper meaning, and sometimes I come across a book that really touches me.

The books I’ve read this past summer a very diverse. I’ve read a couple of mainstream books but also  very interesting literature. The top 3 I’ve listed below might be on your own bookshelfs already! But if you are looking for some new books that have amazing story lines, these are the ones I recommend.


1. Veronica Roth – Divergent
I have, like a lot of people,  read the Hunger Games series in the last couple of months. I found the concept of the series really interesting and I was extremely excited to read the books. With that said, I thought the second and third book were slightly dissappointing. Divergent is in the same kind of genre as the Hunger Games, but has, in my opinion, more depth. This is the kind of book that will make you think about life, family, politics and life choices. It contains a bit of romans, humor, fantasy and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. I am extremely excited to read the second book in this series!

2. Westerfeld – Uglies
This well-written book is one out of four books in a series. It tackles a current topic; beauty and image. In our society there is a lot of uproar about fashion, models and the images they portay to their audience. In this series you enter a world set in the future in which beauty is the center of their society though in a very different way. This dystopian world it complicated but full of idealistic ideas and opinions. Westerfeld has written a detailed story that will never bore you!

3. Alice Hoffman – The Story Sisters
I bought this book online and had never heard of it before. It’s the kind of book you either really enjoy or really dislike. I liked it a lot, but found it to be a little bit too ‘slow’ and detailed at times. However, the storyline keeps you in your grip and the ending is rewarding and well written! This book is about three sisters and their stories of becoming women. Alice Hoffman describes with grace and depth about the struggles that the sisters have to go through. Their stories are so real, hearthbreaking, imaginative and incredibly interesting.